Sunday, March 9, 2014

What I Take Away from This Week 3.6.14

Do check out Pinterest

Usually, if everyone is doing it, I'm resistant to it.  Up until a couple of weeks ago, I could say I had never visited the site.  It's one of those crazes that I had refused to be drawn into.  Soooo, following the bullying of a good friend, I broke down and checked it out for myself at www.pinterest.com and bam! 
Found some things I have to do immediately.  I was so impressed with some of the do it yourself (diy), that I "Pinterest"ed my hubby in making a headboard from scratch.  He scrolled the site for a while, came up with a plan.




I think he did an awesome job.  So the Pinterest-ing won't stop here, I can promise you.  I've already pinned a recipe for a sugar wax and an infinity scarf.   



It's better late than never to teach kids manners

My son's friend was over hanging out.  I’ll call him Tyler.  Thirteen year old Tyler decided he was hungry or thirsty or something, and walked over to my fridge while I was at the kitchen sink washing dishes.  He opened he door, stuck his head in to look and looked around, not quite sure what he was searching for.  I turned around to give him my full attention.  I calmly (heh heh) asked him what he was looking for.

“Just looking,” he said matter-of-factly, like you would to a pesky clothing store greeter.

I made myself smile at him, “Since this isn’t your house, I’d appreciate you backing up out of my fridge.  It's polite to ask for what you want, you know."

He found this amusing I'm guessing, because he replied with, "Can I look through the fridge?"  Adorable.

Still smiling, I shut him down, "Not getting it, are ya?"

He shrugged like "it ain't no thang," and finally shut the door.

But it’s not Tyler’s fault.  I can’t blame the kid, when obviously it hasn’t been taught to him at home to act respectfully when he’s at others’ homes.  Can you imagine opening ANY door in someone else’s home without permission?  

I don't care if you're flailing on my linoleum floor like a fish out of water because only a drink will save you from expiring there.  You better find the strength in your young body to ask for a drink when you’re in my house.  




Don't panic when your laptop display is upside down!

I know, easy to say, impossible to do.  I panicked like crazy!  I opened my brand new practically-fresh-out-of-the-box Toshiba, and the damn picture was upside down.  


This is close enough of a screen shot.  Do you know how hard it is to manually fix a setting when you're screen is inverted and your mouse is moving opposite your hand motions?  Don't panic, my rear...

Not me, but very close to what it took to fix it

I googled on another device (I love technology...until it doesn't work!) to find out that on most models holding Control/Alt/Arrow works to correct the problem.  Not on mine!  Hubby informed me later that this trick only works on earlier models. (So is NEW better?)  To correct, I had to... go to... I don't remember!  What didn't I click on?

Ok, let me focus for a second.  I think I went to Properties - Control Panel - Display or thereabouts... and did you know under Orientation, which is landscape or portrait there is landscape (flipped) and portrait (flipped)?  For what purpose, I can't imagine. 

In the end, I fixed it.  I.Fixed.It!  Was feeling quite techy afterward.  And since no one asked, I didn't feel compelled to mention that it took an hour or better to figure it out.  So my family, I'm sure, just thought to themselves I'm pretty impressive, for someone who couldn't operate a laptop mouse.
 
INSERT PIC OF ME HANGING UPSIDE DOWN OVER THE KEYBOARD
WITH MY READING GLASSES SLIPPING UP MY FACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment