Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Takeaways


What I Take Away from This Week 3.25.14

Kids' observations are, well, interesting

My son shared a thought with me the other day that I couldn't argue with.  One of his teacher's favorite mantras is "Two wrongs don't make a right."  (Although eye-for-an-eye sounds like a fair method of justice to me).  My thirteen year old informed me, shaking his head, that when Mr. M says this, my son wants to interrupt with, "Then why do two negatives make a positive?"




Ironically, it is his math teacher who likes to make this exclamation.  But written in different terms, it's easy to see that the result is a positive: "- + - = +."  Miraculously, my son did not try to correct Mr. M, and only smirked when I praised him for not being a smart butt.  For the time being, he has chosen to keep his observation to himself.  Smart kid.  He's learning that some things should be kept to yourself.



How is it animals can put aside their differences?

You would think our dog and my cat would be totally opposed to the introduction of Sasha the bunny into the family.  Those repulsively long ears, over-sized back feet and funky tail.  What a freak show!  And she smells weird.

But Sasha was not to be ignored.  She's been following our black lab Molly around any time she has freedom from her bunny condo.  I do believe she has adopted Molly, and I don't see Molly complaining:

Careful, this one may give you a neck injury


Teens = Selfies

I was pumping gas while my daughter was doing what she does best -- taking a selfie.  If you're not familiar with the term, it's a self-portrait usually taken with a smartphone for posting on social media.  It's just that when the kids do it, they tend to make a face that resembles a blowfish with high over-exaggerated eyebrows and big eyes.  

I'm filling up so I can continue to chauffeur her little butt around for the next few days, and I happen to look through the tinted back windows to see what she was doing.  I was as annoyed as I looked, but I had just realized what she was doing.





I burst out laughing immediately upon realizing I was photo bombing her.  My expression had been captured and memorialized in that split second. Then her speed-of-light fingers managed to tweet and Instagram the pic in less than 15 seconds!

Don't be alarmed.  There are three words in that last sentence I wouldn't know the definition of without being a parent to teenagers!  I don't know bothers me more -- the idea that 600+ of her followers saw this snapshot, or that had I looked pleasant, I would mind a little less.  Hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment